Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Does a 15,000 BTU Burner require a larger gas line?

Question

I'm thinking of upgrading my cheap apartment stove to one with more heat. The current stove's hottest burner is around 8000BTU; I'm looking at one which has one 15K BTU and two 9000BTU burners. I'm located in California, USA.

My question is: if I have an apartment gas line which was installed for the old, low-heat stove, am I likely to need a larger pipe going into the kitchen for a hotter stove? Or does a standard apartment stove natural gas line already supply more gas pressure than I can use? And if the answer is "it depends", what diameter am I looking for?

Answer

I've got a 6 burner cooktop with a 16k, 3 12k BTU burners, and two smaller burners. My standard household gas line can supply at least 5 of the 6 concurrently without problem (haven't had occasion to use all 6 at once yet). The gas line feeding it is the same size as the rest of the gas lines in my house. Also, according to the installation instructions, the input gas line must be the same diameter or larger than inlet line of the appliance.

Inferring from that, I'd say it is going to be dependent on the inlet size of the stove you select. I don't believe line pressure will be a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment