Monday, March 19, 2012

What's wrong with using spin dryer to dry lettuce?

Question

I love lettuce salad. I eat it very often. I bought a spin dryer, which I find very handy and I use it all the time.

But recently I heard Gordon Ramsay saying that you should bever use spin dryer, that it will destroy the lettuce.

Is that true? How is it destroying lettuce. I don't see any difference between spin-dryed and unspined lettuce.

Asked by Fczbkk

Answer

I think the thing boils down to how much you need to get from the lettuce. If you demand the best of the best performance for your salad, you want to blot it dry with paper towels, so that the texture is best preserved and the appearance is undisturbed. For my purpose, in my kitchen, a salad spinner saves money (the paper towels), time (MY TIME), and allows me to do something more interesting than blotting it dry, and the time saved can be used to better decorate the dishes i love better than the salad.

In essence, there is nothing wrong with any method of cooking if you enjoy the result, and it doesn't involve health problems. Spinning it dry is fine for me, and if you accept the result, there is little to hesitate using one.

Thomas keller also told us that after those vegetables release the flavors in the soup we should discard it, and replace it with fresh cooked vegetables into the soup with better colors, better flavor for better presentation, in my kitchen, I am not serving a Michelin 3-star soup to my family, and thus it is fine having those vegetable in the soup for some more fibres in our diet.

It is a matter of fine dining, it is not a matter of home kitchen. Insist if you have to, but relax if you actually can. :)

Answered by bubu

No comments:

Post a Comment