Tuesday, May 15, 2012

How can I stop my pie from burning?

Question

My oven heats up by putting on the grill. Yesterday I was making pie and the top burned a little bit. This happens almost every time. It happens at the moment the grill goes on for a short moment because the oven has cooled down a bit. So the top of my pie burns, but the middle is not fully cooked jet. I always make sure the oven is fully heated before putting in the pie, and of course keep the oven door open as short as possible. I was wondering, is there a trick so that my pie does not get burned when the oven is re-heating? Right now I turn down the oven a little bit so it won't re-heat which indeed prevent the pie from burning. However, in this way I do not get the optimal result.

Asked by Lotte Laat

Answer

What you need is to deflect the heat from the top of your pie. If you have two racks in your oven, and can position them so that the pie is in the middle with a rack above it, place a piece of aluminum foil directly above the pie. Another option would be to set a piece of foil on top of the pie after it has partially baked. Either way will protect the top from direct heat, allowing the ambient heat to penetrate and bake the whole pie.

Answered by Cos Callis

No comments:

Post a Comment