Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What is the best way to convert recipes to gluten free, and how much xanthan gum is needed?

Question

I am in the process of converting my boyfriend and myself to a gluten free regimen. I have had a lot of success with gluten free recipes, but I am now wanting to convert my previous recipes to gluten free ones.

My questions are:

  1. For the flour portion, is it cup for cup? (one cup of regular flour for one cup of gluten free flour)
  2. How much xanthan gum should be added per cup of gluten free flour?

Answer

This may not be a great answer, but Bob's Red Mill makes a great all-purpose, gluten-free flour that is 1:1. They also provide suggestions of the amount of xanthan gum to use, depending on the application (muffins, bread, pie crust, etc). Since cake flour has less gluten than all purpose, and bread flour has the most gluten...you can vary the amount of xanthan gum to simulate this without gluten.

No comments:

Post a Comment