Thursday, February 23, 2012

Are there any savoury dishes using matcha tea?

Question

I know that you can use matcha powder in a similar way to chocolate in sweet foods but are there any savoury dishes you can make with it?

Asked by Willbill

Answer

One trend I've seen recently is making tea broths/sauces for meats, fishes, etc... Besides being a good use for tea, this has the double effect of giving off the tea's natural aroma when presented to the eater as opposed to simply using the tea to crust a meat - where you wouldn't really get any tea flavor until you actually bit in.

I've also seen people smoking meats with tea leaves and such. I haven't tried this myself to see if the results are worth the trouble (aka - if you can actually taste the tea flavor).

I would also try poaching various items in a matcha tea poaching liquid. For example:

  1. Water
  2. Sugar + salt
  3. Matcha tea powder
  4. Peppercorns
  5. Bay leaves
  6. Whatever else sounds good to you.

You could use this to poach chicken and fish.

Lastly, don't be afraid to add it to soups! Carrot-ginger soup would benefit from the addition of some matcha powder.

Answered by Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment