Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Proper grease for a meat slicer blade

Question

I just found an old hand cranked meat slicer which I can use to slice homemade lunch meats. It was free, but it obviously hasn't been used awhile. Inside there are two gears, and a bearing on which the blade spins. I took off the blade to give the thing a through cleaning, and in the process removed all of the grease. I am now running it through the dish washer to give it yet another washing before we use it.

Can anyone suggest a proper grease to use to lubricate the blade? There is a small chance it could come in contact with food so I was thinking a few shots of silicon grease? Any help would be appreciated.

Asked by Matthew

Answer

Food grade lubricants

Looks like there's quite a few food grade greases available online. Some of them are silicone based. Still, I'd get something that definitely says food grade, rather than whatever's on sale at Ace hardware.

Answered by Wayfaring Stranger

No comments:

Post a Comment