Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Veggie Burger local to Tulancingo, Mexico

Question

When I was in Tulancingo, Mexico I had some type of vegetarian burger that I was told was specific to that region. I don't know the Spanish name or what was in it.

Does anyone know what this would be, what it is called, what's in it?

I was there in 1993-94.

Asked by Samuel Neff

Answer

We call those sandwiches guajolotes [*]; they are specific to to Tulancingo.

One of the typical foods of the Tulancingo region are los guajolotes: buns (similar to a white bread baguette) are halved, filled with refried beans, cheese enchiladas, onions, and salsa. Guajolotes may also sometimes include meat, such as: shredded chicken, ham, sausage, or other delicacies. The assembled sandwich is then pan-fried in butter or oil. [**]

Here is a youtube video of one being made.

* Direct translation: turkeys
** Roughly translated from wikipedia: Tulancingo de Bravo

Answered by rec

No comments:

Post a Comment